On our last periscope with Bobby Umar, we discussed how to deal with nay-sayers: those people telling you why you shouldn’t or can’t do something, why it’s a terrible idea, or why it won’t work. Our viewers suggested strategies like: be diplomatic, keep grinding and let the results speak for themselves, use your nay-sayers as a road map to prepare for solutions, let them predict the worst that can happen and then plan accordingly.
Bobby gave us his own top five tips for dealing with nay-sayers:
- Get their feedback: Ask them why they think it won’t work, what suggestions they have to overcome those challenges, and force them to think of the positive.
- Adopt a growth mind set: Be able to take critique and use it to evolve and grow.
- Create some space between yourself and that person and let go of the negative emotions involved, but don’t necessarily write off or let go of that person.
- Respond with and talk about the emotional and psychological benefit of whatever it is you are doing —the benefit to you and to others.
- Turn your naysayers into yay-sayers and leverage them into influencers!
Join the discussion! Add a comment below